Diary of a Submissive: A Modern True Tale of Sexual Awakening - Sophie Morgan Fifty Shades of Grey has really brought erotica to the mainstream. In all my years of reading books, I can't recall there ever being a time where people would sit around talking about D/s relationship. My own husband bought me the Fifty Shades trilogy and after I read them a time or two, I loaned them out to my bestie with the words "You have to read these. OMG". I was enthralled with the D/s lifestyle but more so the love story that was etched into the story. While I was equally captured in Diary of a Submissive, it was more in a train-wreck reaction. I couldn't help but keep reading even as I sometimes cringed. Sophie is quite explicit in her details and the way she allows her boundaries to be pushed. I found myself shrinking back in my chair and wishing she would "safe word" at times. Ironically it wasn't the physically bruising things that made me wish she would stop it all, it was the demeaning and humiliating times that I couldn't believe she would go thru with. My stomach would turn and I wanted to reach thru the pages and tell her- Don't go thru with it. Perhaps it was the fact that there was no love story in the beginning relationship. A friends w/ benefits situation turned into a threesome made me unable to imagine allowing such things with someone that I did not completely love and trust beyond all.
What amazed me the most was that while many of the same things happened in both books (50 shades & Diary of a Submissive), the way I felt about them was completely different in each.