Dark Waters - Toni Anderson I don't read a ton of romantic suspense. I read a lot of romance, I just don't need the killing and guns in my reading. That said, every once in a while I lean out there and give it a try. I am rarely disappointed, I'm not really sure why I don't go right for it to begin with! Toni Anderson definitely did NOT disappoint!

Dark Waters was a fast paced, chill inducing, heart pounding, suspense book with the added bliss of a romance brewing. There are so many twists and turns that it's hard to even sum it up!

I'm going to start with Brent because ex-con or not, he's my favorite! How can you not love this dark, dangerous and seriously HOT guy? While a 'lifer' in prison, he met Davis Silver (Anna's dad) and became best friends. Now that he's out, he keeps himself secluded in his own private prison- airy and spacious as it may be. He paints and keeps to himself. A damaged man who carries guilt for more things than he should, he's afraid to let himself out and connect with other people. It's heartbreaking to see.

Anna, poor Anna.. She is just as broken as Brent. Her father was arrested when she was young for stealing money. Her life went promptly downhill from there. The loss of all her friends, the stigma of being the daughter of a thief, along with a very horrific experience that she tells no one about- all builds to her suicide attempt as a teenager. She immediately realizes that she doesn't want to die and from that point forward begins building a 'safe' life. She has a job, a few friends and even dates 'safe' guys. But she's really hiding.

A knock on the door will change both their lives. When Anna finds out her father was murdered and the killers may be after her, she flees to Brent- her father's best friend. Brent is beyond loyal and although it means letting someone into his life, he vows to protect her. Two damaged souls, drawn together by tragedy and a passion unknown before. As they flee the bad guys, they draw closer and closer to each other.

Since this is a suspense book, I feel I need to mention the bad guys.. O.M.G. Toni has come up with some seriously demented, crazy ass , mutilate people for the fun of it bad asses. My heart was pounding every time Brent & Anna got close to Rand (IMO, the worst of the worst). I just wanted that man caught or killed..Anything to stop him!

This was definitely a page turner as you sigh at the romance unfolding between Brent and Anna, while you also cringe and hide behind your fingers (is that only me?) at the gruesome Rand. It was well written with characters that drew you in. Even the side characters (Brent's brother & his fiance , Anna's mother & friend) had stories that made you want more. I was thrilled with the outcome and can't wait to read more from this great author!!

*I received an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. *