The Rockin' Chair - Steven Manchester This is my first Steven Manchester book but it definitely won't be the last! I am so in love with his writing style, the thought and feeling that he puts behind the words as he builds a story so wonderful you are sucked in deep and left as emotionally drained as the characters.

"Evan, if a fella has a hundred pigeons and loses them and another fella has only ten pigeons and lose them, who do you figure loses more?"

Evan almost laughed at the childish riddle. It was so easy. "The man with the hundred pigeons, of course!" he answered.

Grampa John smiled. Placing the red cap onto his shiny head, he was almost at teh storm door when he looked back. "I ain't ever been big in the brains department, but if you ask me, I'd say the both lost everything they had." With one push on the door, he was gone from the house. The real work had just begun.

Evan paused briefly in front of the mirror where Tara had received her first lesson. Taking a long look at his face, he chuckled. "Wow," he whispered, "the old man's right." Pain was merely relative to one's own experiences.

That was one of my favorite quotes from the book. At the end of our lives, we are left with our memories. When John's wife Alice is robbed of those memories due to Alzheimer's , he is left to remember them for the both of them. As Alice passes away, the family is finally all called home and John realizes that he needs to help each member of the family come to terms with their own memories before he can be at peace to join Alice. He immediately sets to work giving little lessons to each and realizes that perhaps he needs a few lessons himself.

This story is about the love of a family. While many things can tear it apart, love and memories can help heal all. From returning from war with guilt of a decision he can't live with, to losing one's dreams, to alcoholism and drug addiction. John has a hard fight ahead of him to help each member of his family overcome their bad memories and help put them in the past to move on.

Many have described Steven Manchester as another Nicholas Sparks. I can wholeheartedly agree. I thought no one could make me cry like Nicholas Sparks, but I was wrong. Steven pulls you into the story so that their pain is your own. I laughed, I cried and I sighed with contentment. It's a wonderful story that everyone should read and appreciate the lessons taught by Grampa John.

5 + Stars!!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. *